Tuesday, June 2, 2009

This morning, I took my first exercise class at the gym that was taught all in Spanish!!! Kind of an accomplishment, at least I think so. It was kind of funny because a lot of the music was American or at least in English. Apparently they like it even though many can´t understand what they are saying. I also met a girl in the class who seems pretty young (I didn´t ask her age) that has been living in Madrid less than a year. She is from Alicante, near Valencia, Spain. We laughed a lot during the class because she wasn´t very coordinated and I couldn´t understand some of the things the teacher was saying and we stayed to talk after so maybe she will be a new friend! Also, kind of funny, I went and sat in the room and felt like people were staring at me (which seems to happen a lot here, I think my hair color is a dead giveaway I´m a foreigner) but then I realized I was sitting in the front of the room and not the side! Whoops! I definitely did NOT want to teach the class haha.

I went to the book fair at Retiro Park today to look for some souvenirs. I ended up buying two recipe books. The directions are all in Spanish so we will see how I do with that! I had my first English ¨lesson¨(alone that is) with Eloisa today and it went well. They are getting their windows changed so we had to be at the park from 3-7 and it was really hot so it was hard for both of us I think. Plus we had to walk quite a ways to get to the park and she got pretty tired. I mean, she is only 3 years old!

Of course for dinner we had something unique again. Calamari (not fried) over rice. It was okay, but not really my thing. I mostly just ate the rice. Ah well. They have lots of interesting things in their cabinets - liver pate, foie gras, and even cow stomach in a can (it has some sort of Spanish name). Of course they never make me eat anything I don´t want to and there are plenty of things that I do like. It´s so funny how tastes are formed by what you grow up with because Eloisa will eat pretty much all of this stuff. I was really exhausted from the day so I settled in to watch some TV. I have gotten into two shows here - Madrileños X the World (people from Madrid who live other places now) and some show about Spaniards who are shipped off to live with tribes. They are both pretty funny...only in Spanish of course so I´m sure a lot of the humor is lost on me. Tomorrow I think I am going to do one of the self-guided tours that is listed in the Madrid guidebook I bought before I left and possibly a bullfight this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sweetie,

    I finally figured out how to sign up for this thing - smile. I cannot believe you are eating anything but chocalate.

    Love,

    Aunt Gail

    ReplyDelete