Saturday, June 6, 2009

I continue to be amazed with how late people stay up around here...I was going to go out last night until it was almost midnight before any concrete plans were made. The clubs stay open until like 5 but I didnt really feel like taking the Metro that late, paying for a cab ride, and especially not paying 20 euros to get in the place. So...I cozied into the West Wing of course.

Today and yesterday both were very chilly. I ended up having to buy two sweaters because I didnt bring anything with long sleeves. Of course, I dont object to buying new clothes. Maria said that with all of my new items from Zara I am a real Española haha.

Oh, and I finally bought a calling card the other day so that I could talk to my family. It was soooooo nice to have some sort of connection that way. I paid 5 euros for supposedly 150 minutes but I DEFINITELY didnt get that much time. I will keep buying them though so let me know if you would like a call...or if you happen to purchase an international calling card thats just as well. Also I have been trying to find WiFi around here but I keep hitting dead ends...I hear the Corte Ingles has it in the cafeterias but I went to one today and it was a full fledged restaurant. I felt a little odd pulling out my computer there so I am going to try the one on Calle Serrano tomorrow. I am hoping this way I might be able to use Skype but who knows.

Today, Marias mom and aunt came into town so we all met at a restaurant for a nice lunch. I ordered a tropical salad because I thought fruit sounded good but it was covered in different kinds of seafood and some weird creamy pink sauce. I wish the description had included that because I felt bad not eating it. Its just weird because when you order the primero plato and segundo plato with the menu del dia, its like having two meals. I mean a seafood salad and then turkey with potatoes...who needs both.

Also today I found a little theater that plays movies in their original languages. Which means I was able to see Angels and Demons in English. Such a great movie and I highly recommend it. It also made me realize just how much history there is in Europe and how I would like to see more of it, at least eventually. Im glad I was able to find a theater where I could watch it in English because since it uses complex terms I figured a lot might be lost on me in Spanish. Spanish is the one language that almost all American shows and movies are dubbed for, which means you can watch the movie and listen to it in Spanish but the characters mouths actually move with the words. American shows are really popular, that is pretty much the majority of what plays at the movie theaters and I have seen Hannah Montana, Arthur, etc. all playing on TV. And a lot of kids wear shirts with English phrases on them but who knows if they even know what it says haha. I dont have any big plans yet tomorrow but I am getting excited because we are going to the beach on Thursday. I doubt I will have Internet access so my updates may be lacking for about a week.

2 comments:

  1. Katie
    Glad to hear you are having a nice time. I am glad you are getting to see the world and soak up some history. It helps put things in prospective. We look forward to your safe return, until then enjoy every minute of every day. Love you Aunt Sheila :) XO XO

    ReplyDelete