Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 3

I thought I was adjusted to the time change but couldn´t get to sleep until 3 am last night! My room is really just too quiet, I am used to having a fan going at all times. I am learning how to do the little things around the house like set the alarm when I leave, run the laundry and dishwasher, and use the stove. It seems easy enough but it´s just different than what I am used to! Í´m not sure if I mentioned it before but all of the laundry hangs on a line outside my window that connects our flat to the one across the way. When Maria was showing me how to do the laundry, I asked what we were supposed to do with our underwear. She laughed and said that I was supposed to hang it out there too. FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE! I think I may figure out my own solution lol. I made my first meal today using stuff I found in the kitchen which was pretty interesting...I figured a safe bet was noodles, onions, and tomato sauce. I was right! They didn´t have spaghetti sauce so I literally used tomato sauce. And, Molly, they don´t refrigerate their milk because it´s the kind that doesn´t have to be cold! Hmmmm.

Today, I picked up Eloisa from school. The school is MASSIVE, it is just a few blocks away from their flat and is so beautiful it looks like something out of a movie. I can´t believe it´s a public school! All the kids wear uniforms, though. A ritual that I find interesting is that everyone heads straight to the park after school (it lasts until 5pm during the year, 3pm in the summer which starts next week). The park is insanely packed with little kids running around, strollers, and moms sitting on the sidelines chatting. I have never seen anything like it, it´s so hectic around there! And all of the moms seem to watch after all of the kids which is nice. It´s much more a sense of community even in the big city. I started my first day of speaking English with Eloisa while we were at the park and a little girl about 6 years old was fascinated by me because she was bilingual too! So cute. Eloisa is very bright and actually knows quite a lot more English than she lets on. She understands what I am saying but will pretty much only respond in Spanish. I think by the end of the summer that will change. We had dinner around 8pm (fish...hake, apparently. I have already had that and bass since I have been here and liked them both!) and then I read Eloisa the Cinderella (Cenicienta) book I gave her in English. She told her mom that she really enjoyed it so I am glad! I guess that is all for me today, I hope you are enjoying reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment